news aggregator

LeEco Said To Lay Off Over 80 Percent of US Workforce

/. - Tue, 05/23/2017 - 5:00am
An anonymous reader quotes a report from CNBC: LeEco, a Chinese company that made a big splash in the U.S. last fall, is preparing for a round of layoffs that may happen as soon as Tuesday, according to sources. Two people told CNBC the company is planning massive layoffs in the U.S., with one source saying that only 60 employees will be left after the cut. The company's current headcount in the U.S. is over 500, according to this person. CNBC obtained an email calling employees together for a Town Hall Meeting that will occur in three of the company's U.S. locations, including San Diego, Santa Monica and San Jose, at 10 a.m. PST. The email asks employees to attend unless they're off for the day, in which case they're asked to call in. It's not clear what will be announced at the meeting, but a second source told CNBC that layoffs will be announced tomorrow. Under the restructuring, LeEco will refocus on encouraging Chinese-American consumers to watch LeEco's Chinese content library, one person said.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Hanako: Honor & Blade Early Access Release Trailer + Date!

Mod DataBase (DB)'s News - Tue, 05/23/2017 - 4:41am

We've been working on our trailer for the last year and it has finally arrived! We will have a booth at MomoCon in Atlanta later this week to debut the trailer live and are working towards our release date...

Blood fan remake demo release and project support

Mod DataBase (DB)'s News - Tue, 05/23/2017 - 4:14am

First demo of Blood fan remake is available to download, future plans and project support.

“Star Wars” Vanity Fair 40th Anniversary Covers

Dark Horizons - Tue, 05/23/2017 - 4:10am

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the “Star Wars” franchise this week, Vanity Fair magazine’s official site has debuted four different variant covers created for a special issue celebrating the milestone.

The covers were photographed by Annie Leibovitz on the set of “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” during production, the famed photographer captured the cast of ‘The Phantom Menace’ for the franchise’s return in 1999 and has documented each of the subsequent “Star Wars” episodes since.

This however marks the first time the magazine has released alternate “Star Wars” covers. Leibovitz’s full portfolio will be online Wednesday, along with a story on the making of the new film. The issue will be on newsstands in New York and Los Angeles on May 31st, and nationally on June 6th.

The shots come as photos have also gone online of Alden Ehrenreich on the set of the “Han Solo” stand alone film. Those are up on TMZ, while YouTuve has video of some filming on a speeder chase sequence.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” opens in December, the Han Solo film opens in May next year.

The post “Star Wars” Vanity Fair 40th Anniversary Covers appeared first on Dark Horizons.

“Wadjda” Director Sets “Perfect Candidate”

Dark Horizons - Tue, 05/23/2017 - 4:02am

After such a dynamic start with “Wadjda,” Saudi Arabian director Haifaa Al-Mansour is set to return to the country to shoot her next work – “The Perfect Candidate”.

The dramedy follows a young female physician who maneuvers through her conservative, male-dominated society to run in the municipal council elections. An absurd campaign, strict social norms, gender segregation and the influence of her eccentric family all come into play.

This is said to be an ironic look at the new developments in Saudi Arabia caused by women being able to be elected on a local political level.

Shooting on the Arabic-language pic is expected to start in the second half of 2018. Roman Paul and Gerhard Meixner will produce.

Al-Mansour has already shot the English-language film “A Storm in the Stars” which looks at the life of “Frankenstein” author Mary Shelley. Elle Fanning and Douglas Booth star in that movie which is likely to debut at the Venice Film Festival in September.

Source: Variety

The post “Wadjda” Director Sets “Perfect Candidate” appeared first on Dark Horizons.

Brief “Batman,” “Aquaman” & “Wonder” Updates

Dark Horizons - Tue, 05/23/2017 - 4:01am

While the DC Extended Universe at Warner Bros. Pictures doesn’t really have its own single creative captain ala Marvel’s Kevin Feige, the main people steering the ship are Geoff Johns and Jon Berg. At one time, producer Charles Roven was pretty much attached to every DCEU film on the way but stepped back a bit when Johns and Berg took the wheel.

Roven remains attached to a few and, doing press for “Wonder Woman” recently, he weighed in on where things stand with Ben Affleck and the solo “The Batman” film with questions hanging over whether it’s still going forward and if Affleck will return. Talking with JoBlo, Roven seems to think that things are still on track:

“I mean, I’m not really involved with The Batman. We have a cursory involvement because that character is going to touch us [Justice League] some way. If Ben plays that character it’s going to touch some part of what we are doing.

But I have no feeling whatsoever except positive that Matt loves Ben and the work that he has done as Batman, and Ben thinks that Matt is a really terrific filmmaker. I have every expectation that they are going to make a movie together.”

In other DCEU news, filming on “Aquaman” has now officially begun on the Gold Coast in Australia. Actors Temuera Morrison and newcomer Otis Dhanji were recorded filming in the studio’s outdoor water tank, which you can see below along with a new photo of Amber Heard as Mera which the actress has posted to her social media account.

Behind the scenes of Aquaman movie set. Nice pic.twitter.com/Q63WJGjD6i

— The Geeks Core (@TheGeeksCore) May 21, 2017

Meet Mera. Day 1 #Aquaman pic.twitter.com/L9XKpPCagF

— Amber Heard (@realamberheard) May 18, 2017

Finally, last night’s “Supergirl” season finale boasts a new promo that ties the “Wonder Woman” film to three characters on The CW show – characters played by actresses very familiar to DC fans.

Yep the original Wonder Woman (Lynda Carter), the best Lois Lane (Teri Hatcher) and the current Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) team together for the promo spot which you can see below.

The post Brief “Batman,” “Aquaman” & “Wonder” Updates appeared first on Dark Horizons.

Taking Responsibility, Part 3

Nehemiah was known and respected for his diligence as a contractor and builder, while his contemporary, Ezra (whom we will encounter in the message, “Studying Hard”), was a dedicated scribe and priest. Though their tasks were completely different, neither calling was more important or significant in God’s eyes. Nehemiah needed Ezra to stay devoted and faithful as he served the Lord as a scribe and as a priest. Ezra needed Nehemiah to commit to rebuilding Jerusalem’s smoldering gates. Ezra’s role may appear more “sacred” and Nehemiah’s more “secular.” Yet each man fulfilled the plan of God by being obedient to His voice. Let’s look at Nehemiah’s example now.

Could Giant Alien Structures Be Dimming a Far Away Star?

/. - Tue, 05/23/2017 - 2:00am
sciencehabit quotes a report from Science Magazine: Astronomers and alien life enthusiasts alike are buzzing over the sudden dimming of an otherwise unremarkable star 1300 light-years away in the constellation Cygnus. KIC 8462852 or "Tabby's star" has dimmed like this several times before, prompting some researchers to suggest that the megastructures of an advanced alien civilization might be blocking its light. And now -- based on new data from numerous telescopes -- it's doing it again. "This is the first clear dip we have seen since [2013], and the first we have ever caught in real time," says Jason Wright, an astronomer at Pennsylvania State University in State College. If they can rope in more telescopes, astronomers hope to gather enough data to finally figure out what's going on. "This could be the first of several dips about to come," says astronomer David Kipping of Columbia University. "Many observers will be closely watching." KIC 8462852 was first noticed to be dipping in brightness at seemingly random intervals between 2011 and 2013 by NASA's Kepler telescope. Kepler, launched to observe the stellar dimmings caused when an exoplanet passes in front of its star, revealed that the dimming of Tabby's star was much more erratic than a typical planetary transit. It was also more extreme, with its brightness sometimes dropping by as much as 20%. This was not the passage of a small circular planet, but of something much larger and more irregular.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Median XL 2017

Mod DataBase (DB)'s News - Mon, 05/22/2017 - 5:32pm

A new massive release is coming out on May the 26th: Median XL 2017.

Sam Mendes In Talks For Disney’s “Pinocchio”

Dark Horizons - Mon, 05/22/2017 - 5:18pm

Sam Mendes is in early talks to direct the live-action adaptation of 1940 animated classic “Pinocchio” currently in the works at Disney Pictures.

Last year Mendes became attached to direct another animated to live-action remake for Disney, “James and the Giant Peach,” but now he’s reportedly off that project.

Peter Hedges penned the script for the new “Pinocchio,” the latest take on Carlo Collodi’s 1883 children’s book about a puppet and a poor woodcarver.

The project is not to be confused with the other notable adaptation of the property currently in development – the Warner Bros. Pictures live-action film which has Paul Thomas Anderson is writing the screenplay and Robert Downey Jr. slated to star as Geppetto.

Source: Variety

The post Sam Mendes In Talks For Disney’s “Pinocchio” appeared first on Dark Horizons.

Gilliam’s “Don Quixote” Hits Legal Hiccup

Dark Horizons - Mon, 05/22/2017 - 5:16pm

A year ago French sales banner Alfama helped announce at Cannes that Terry Gilliam’s long troubled “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” was finally moving forward after nearly two decades.

Filming was at the time slated to begin in October, but then a delay pushed it to March. Nevertheless the film has been in production with Gilliam directing and both Adam Driver and Jonathan Pryce starring.

Now, one year on from that announcement, Alfama has released a statement regarding a court ruling in Paris which claims Gilliam’s production of the pic was ‘patently illegal’.

Alfama’s Paulo Branco tells THR that he hasn’t spoke to Gilliam in six months and he’s reportedly accused the filmmaker of working “clandestinely” behind his back and pursued the production with other partners.

Branco also reportedly claims he has the rights to the film, asserting that whatever was shot by Gilliam would be the property of Alfama.

A statement from the film’s producers call Branco’s claims “preposterous” and that he had “no rights whatsoever to Don Quixote”. On top of this they add that they have been forced to sue Branco in four countries.

Recorded Picture Company CEO Peter Watson says: “Senhor Branco’s interpretation of the law borders on the picaresque. If he really wants to kill the venerable don, I suggest he takes up jousting.”

Source: THR

The post Gilliam’s “Don Quixote” Hits Legal Hiccup appeared first on Dark Horizons.

Disney Teases “Ant-Man,” “Transylvania” Cartoons

Dark Horizons - Mon, 05/22/2017 - 5:15pm

Disney’s TV division has unveiled new looks at two of their upcoming animated series based on film franchises.

First up, there’s new art from the upcoming “Ant-Man” web series which will debut on Disney XD next month. Airing June 10th and 11th, the program will consist of six two-minute shorts with three airing per night.

Meanwhile, Nelvana and Sony Pictures Animation have revealed new details about their new animated “Hotel Transylvania: The Series” which is based on the blockbuster film franchise of the same name and will screen on the Disney Channel starting Sunday, June 25th.

The first series trailer has been released below and comes ahead of twenty-six episodes of the 22-minute per episode series produced at the Nelvana studio in Toronto. Three new shorts will also be available starting June 4th on the Disney Channel app and Disney Channel YouTube and come ahead of the series.

The story focuses on the teenage years of Dracula’s daughter, Mavis, and her three closest friends Hank N Stein, Pedro and Wendy Blob. With Dracula away on “Official Vampire Business,” Mavis finally sees her chance to show her father what she can do.

Check out the “Hotel Transylvania” series tease and the “Ant-Man” art below:

Source: EW

The post Disney Teases “Ant-Man,” “Transylvania” Cartoons appeared first on Dark Horizons.

Orange Moon V0.0.9.0 update

Mod DataBase (DB)'s News - Mon, 05/22/2017 - 2:22pm

Orange Moon V0.0.9.0 update - new 9th level and new enemy - Moon Resources Corporation Trooper, as well as improvements and bug fixes.

Snyder Exits “Justice League” After Tragedy

Dark Horizons - Mon, 05/22/2017 - 2:17pm

In a stunning turn of events due to a family tragedy, Joss Whedon has come onboard to finish Zack Snyder’s “Justice League” film at Warner Bros. Pictures.

THR reports that Snyder is stepping away from the currently in post-production project and all other work he’s involved with at this time following the sudden suicide of the filmmaker’s 20-year-old daughter Autumn Snyder in March.

Her death had been kept private even as the movie was put on a two-week break for the Snyders to deal with the immediate aftermath. Snyder’s wife, Deborah Snyder, who is a producer on “Justice League,” is also taking a break to focus on the healing of their family. In the interview, Zack Snyder says:

“In my mind, I thought it was a cathartic thing to go back to work, to just bury myself and see if that was way through it. The demands of this job are pretty intense. It is all consuming. And in the last two months, I’ve come to the realization …I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me. They are all having a hard time. I’m having a hard time.”

The studio floated the possibility of pushing back the release date of the movie, but the Snyders decided against that suggestion. Warners has also extended Snyder’s first-look deal to give him time to work on other planned projects when he returns.

After a test screening, Snyder brought Whedon on board to write some additional scenes. But as Snyder prepared for the additional filming in the UK, he realised he had to stay home. Whedon will now shepherd the movie through post-production and the filming of these additional scenes. Sndyer has already planned those scenes out and so Whedon will follow the template Snyder has set.

The film very much remains Snyder’s project and Snyder is already anticipating what some trollish DC comics fans are going to say:

“I thought it would just be in the family, a private matter, our private sorrow that we would deal with. When it became obvious that I need to take a break, I knew there would be narratives created on the internet. They’ll do what they do. The truth it…I’m past caring about that kind of thing now.

I want the movie to be amazing and I’m a fan, but that all pales pretty quickly in comparison. I know the fans are going to be worried about the movie but there are seven other kids that need me. In the end, it’s just a movie. It’s a great movie. But it’s just a movie.”

At present, the movie is still on track for its November 17th release date. Our sincerest condolensces go out to the Snyder family in this time of grief.

The post Snyder Exits “Justice League” After Tragedy appeared first on Dark Horizons.

Jordan Peele’s Next Set For March 2019

Dark Horizons - Mon, 05/22/2017 - 1:30pm

Universal has set a March 15th 2019 release date for Jordan Peele’s next film.

Peele’s debut directorial effort, “Get Out,” remains the most acclaimed film of the year and grossed $229 million worldwide on a mere $5 million budget.

His next film is said to be in the same vein, the second of four original and provocative thrillers with a social satire angle. The date sees it arriving a week after “Captain Marvel” and a week before “Godzilla: King of the Monsters”.

Source: The Tracking Board

The post Jordan Peele’s Next Set For March 2019 appeared first on Dark Horizons.

Wan To Produce “Resident Evil” Reboot

Dark Horizons - Mon, 05/22/2017 - 1:15pm

James Wan has come aboard to produce the first film in the reboot of the “Resident Evil” franchise which was announced over the weekend by Constantin Film.

Further details about the project are coming to light with Variety reporting the reboot will be the first of six new films planned for the franchise.

Greg Russo is scripting the project which boasts an entirely new cast. Michael Clear will produce, but no director is yet set and what’s not clear is the tone – whether it will keep the action-sci-fi meets horror vibe of the previous films or trying something with more of a haunted house horror focus like the original games.

Wan and Russo worked previously together on a “Mortal Kombat” reboot in development at New Line, and a “Robotech” adaptation in the works at Sony. Wan is currently directing “Aquaman” which is in production in Australia.

Source: Deadline

The post Wan To Produce “Resident Evil” Reboot appeared first on Dark Horizons.

PlatinumGames Teases New IP

Blue's News - Mon, 05/22/2017 - 1:12pm
DualShockers reports that PlatinumGames producer Atsushi Inaba revealed a new IP during a keynote address in Japan (thanks GameSpot). This is especially vague, as the Bayonetta studio currently...

Next Dragon Age Discussion

Blue's News - Mon, 05/22/2017 - 1:12pm
An interview on Eurogamer chats with Alexis Kennedy, talking with the Sunless Sea writer about the next Dragon Age. Kennedy's move to BioWare last year inspired speculation that he'd be working on...
Syndicate content